It is not unusual or uncommon to believe that a marriage will last forever, and having to bring an end to such a union can be a source of great distress for anyone involved. The divorce process is seldom simple or quick in any way. Even after the legal side of things has been taken care of, the emotional impact can be far more complicated and take much longer to resolve.
On top of trying to cope with personal feelings, there is also the challenge of confronting the feelings of the other person who was involved. Because there will likely be more interactions even after the divorce has been finalized, there is a risk that damaging behaviors will continue to occur from both sides that can cause even further harm.
There are quite a few reasons that individuals may decide that a divorce is their only available course of action. From communication problems and general dissatisfaction to abusive behavior and cheating, the reasons for a couple to decide on divorce proceedings can be as complex and complicated as their relationship.
In almost every situation, however, problematic methods of communication are often a key factor behind why couples are unable to move forward together. There is no real right or wrong way that a person should feel when divorce is involved because every person’s experience is unique. By seeking help from an experienced counselor like Christie Jones, individuals who are struggling with their feelings can get the support and guidance they need to move forward in a positive, healthy manner.
Reasons to Seek Divorce Counseling
Even if you are only considering the possibility of a divorce, it is important to have someone to talk to that will be supportive, understanding, and non-judgmental. The end of a marriage is a stressful and draining experience, and the idea of facing this situation alone can quickly feel overwhelming to many people.
There are some situations where it is recommended that you seek the support of a trained professional, including:
- If you are coping with feelings of unhappiness in your relationship and cannot imagine that change or improvement is possible.
- If you are already thinking about separation or divorce as a solution.
- If you’re struggling with the decision to leave your partner.
- If you are currently separated or already engaged in divorce proceedings.
- If you’re feeling lost or confused about how to move forward in your life.
- If you are coping with feelings of anxiety or concern about how a divorce or separation might impact your children.
Working with an experienced professional to confront these types of feelings can be an effective way to get the guidance and advice needed to move forward successfully.
If you’re not sure that divorce counseling is really necessary for your situation, there are few additional signs that could indicate it is time to get help from a professional.
These common warning signs could indicate that it is time to think about divorce counseling, including:
- Having problems falling asleep or staying asleep for an entire night
- Increased self-loathing or loss of self-esteem
- Feelings of unworthiness
- Sudden weight loss or weight gain for no obvious reason
- Social withdrawal or isolation from peers
- A lack of interest for activities that were once enjoyable
- Uncontrolled expressions of anger
- Chronic depression and anxiety
- Suicidal thoughts or actions
- Inability to perform everyday activities
How Can Divorce Counseling Help?
A divorce counselor can provide support in many ways, including:
• Providing guidance for each stage of the divorce
• Teaching important coping skills to confront the emotional pain of the situation
• Providing a safe space for the expression of thoughts and feelings
• Acting as a relationship coach to develop a clear understanding of why the relationship failed to prevent similar events in the future
As a professional whose purpose is to support you and guide you, it is important to find someone who you can get along with and feel comfortable around. By being able to talk through your divorce, and the emotional struggles associated with it, individuals can find a way to move forward positively with renewed confidence.
If you have questions about the divorce counseling services Christie Jones offers, or to find out if she is the right professional to help you overcome your struggle, be sure to contact our office today to schedule an appointment!